Monday, May 28, 2007

An Ongoing Outrage


This particular topic has been bothering me for some time now. Like many of my fellow American newspaper readers, I am a Letters to the Editor junkie. I love to read this section every morning watching the free exchange of opinions. It's great when things get heated and a particular topic gets people going for days on end.

A certain topic always makes me cringe; not because of the topic itself, but because of some of the self-righteous people who choose to write about it. For every different choice of lifestyle on our planet, there is a person out there to demonize and finger point, to clutch a Bible and stand ready to deliver a sermon on the mount.

When it comes to gay rights (most recently gay marriage), there is no shortage of Jesus scholars out there ready to condemn gay people in one breath and promote a culture of life and brotherhood in another. Every week or so someone writes into the papers I read; every week someone else takes a number in the line to judge others with such severity that I wonder how they sleep at night. The problem isn't unique to the U.S., but there does seem to be a twisted , maniacal moral tidal wave going on in this country when the topic of gay marriage is introduced.

It's an ongoing outrage for me. I just don't see how people can actually think being a good person means passing such harsh judgment on others, waving words of scripture in the air as if to sling arrows at a group of people that they blindly and belligerently refuse to accept.

This is fellowship? This is brotherhood? No. This is an outrage.

RAGE-O-METER- 100

No comments: