Thursday, March 22, 2007

CONSERVATIVE & PROUD

A Degree of Doubt
Recently it seems like anyone who questions whether humans are the main cause of global warming is equivalent to a Puritan who doubts the existence of God. Instead of burning people at the stake (a fad that I’m grateful has fallen out of favor), scientists have lost their jobs and there are calls to have the American Meteorological Society revoke the endorsement of any meteorologist who dares to doubt.

I’m not a scientist, so I’m not going to claim to be an authority on the causes of global warming, but I hesitate to fully accept the blame for the one degree change during the past ten years. Here are some quick facts that cause me to pause.
  • Mars ice caps are melting.
  • Jupiter is getting a second red spot, which is believed to be the cause of a global temperature increase
  • The frozen nitrogen surface on Triton, Neptune’s moon, has begun to melt
  • Pluto has warmer up three degrees in recent years
  • The sun has been generating more heat over the past century

We are more likely to understand global warming if we encourage debate, rather than shut it down. I guess, however, when you have a man who is “not” running for President centering his campaign and free press around global warming, we can’t start suggesting he might be wrong.

1 comment:

IC said...

Kindel, I love your passion and your strength in the face of almost overwhelming pressure. It reminds me of my disdain for the Iraq invasion when it was unpatriotic to do so (outvoted 22-3 in my American Government class). Who knows? Maybe someday you'll be proven right like I was.